Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Barracks, School, Headquarters
This barracks was built for the enlisted men at the Sandy Hook Proving Ground. After the proving ground moved to Aberdeen, Maryland, in 1919, it became the Fort Hancock School and later Headquarters for the 7th Coast Artillery Regiment.
Sandy Hook Proving Ground operated from 1874 to 1919. Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 21.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 27.987′ N, 74° 0.359′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Kearney Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hasty Additions in Wartime ( a few steps from this marker); Proving Ground Foremanís House ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rodman Gun ( about 400 feet away); Mule Barn ( about 500 feet Fire House Number 1 ( about 600 feet away); Locomotive Engineerís House ( about 600 feet away); 200 Years of Service ( about 600 feet away); Site of Master Mechanicís Quarters ( about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photo of students standing in front of the Fort Hancock School in 1931. A photo on the lower right of the marker depicts soldiers in front of the Barracks in 1919.
Categories. • Education • Forts, Castles • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 317 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.