Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Steinle Turret Machine Co.
Designated April 22, 2008
Erected 2012 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 174.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
Location. 43° 5.81′ N, 89° 20.63′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of Waubesa Street and LaFollette Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Waubesa Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 149 Waubesa Street, Madison WI 53704, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Bernard's Catholic Church ( approx. 0.2 Stang-Wirth House ( approx. 0.2 miles away); "Elmside" ( approx. ¼ mile away); Herman J. Loftsgordon House ( approx. 0.3 miles away); Riley House ( approx. half a mile away); Lizard Effigy Mound ( approx. half a mile away); "Let The Great Spirits Soar" ( approx. half a mile away); Lt. Gerald Stull USAF ( approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Steinle Turret Machine Co.. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "The period of significance [for this type of production building] extends from 1903 to 1942 encompassing the dates of construction of the original section and the four additions to the building. In 1940 the building was acquired by the Theodore Kupfer Iron Works. The Steinle building retains much of its historic integrity and was part of a significant restoration and rehabilitation project in which it has become the Goodman Community Center."
Also see . . .
1. Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark (Submitted on May 1, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
2. Goodman Center. The building history page of the current occupant. (Submitted on May 1, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 412 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 22, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 2. submitted on April 30, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 3. submitted on May 1, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.