Camden in Kershaw County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Monroe Boykin Park
In the 1798 city plan, this five-acre park was laid out as a public square. In 1900 the Seaboard Air Line Railway built a passenger depot next to it, on the SW corner of Chesnut & Gordon Sts. The city beautified the square to welcome visitors and named it Seaboard Park. After the depot moved in 1937, the area near it was named Seaboard Park. The present name, first given to an African-American suburb absorbed into Kirkwood, honors Rev. Monroe Boykin.
Rev. Monroe Boykin (d. 1904), born into slavery, became a community leader after the Civil War. After emancipation he was given two tracts of land nearby by the heirs of his former owner. In 1866 Boykin and other freedmen withdrew from Camden (First) Baptist Church to form Mount Moriah Baptist Church on Broad St. Boykin, its first pastor, served there for 34 years. He helped found many churches in Kershaw, Clarendon, Sumter, and Lancaster Counties.
Erected 2012 by City Camden. (Marker Number 28-17.)
Location. 34° 15.349′ N, 80° 36.742′ W. Marker is in Camden, South Carolina, in Kershaw County. Marker is on Campbell Street just south of Chesnut Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Camden SC 29020, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. James Polk Dickinson (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Americans Return (approx. 0.4 miles away); Confederate War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Camden (approx. 0.4 miles away); In Honor and Rememberance (approx. 0.4 miles away); Action at Logtown (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pantheon (approx. half a mile away); The Bishop Davis House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camden.
More about this marker. Although the marker is cast as erected in 2011, it was not installed and unveiled until April 17, 2012.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 20, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 842 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on April 20, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.