New Castle United Methodist Church
Desiring a permanent place of worship, the congregation purchased a parcel of land from Richard Sexton on September 28, 1820. A small brick chapel was erected on the site, which is now contained within the adjoining graveyard. Then known as Nazareth Methodist Episcopal Church, it served the congregation until 1863, when the present church was built. A major expansion was undertaken in 1876, with the construction of a Sunday School addition as the rear of the church. Facilities were further expanded with the completion of the present Fellowship Hall in 1956.
Erected 2000 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-111.)
Location. 39° 39.691′ N, 75° 33.982′ W. Marker is in New Castle, Delaware
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Museum (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Van Dyke House (about 800 feet away); The Green or Market Plaine (approx. 0.2 miles away); Delaware's Independence Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); The River Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mary Wansey (approx. 0.2 miles away); New Castle Court House 1732 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Castle.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 425 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 21, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.