Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Armstrong Junior College
This granite and glazed-brick, Italian Renaissance mansion was designed by architect Henrik Wallin and built between 1916-1919. Olaf Otto was the general contractor. Classes began in September 1935 with 175 students in what “The Atlanta Constitution” called “the finest and most costly junior college in the United States.”
In 1959 Armstrong College became a part of the University System of Georgia and was designated a four year institution in 1964. Two years later Armstrong State College moved to a new campus in Southside Savannah. Historic Savannah Foundation preserved the property. The mansion was acquired in 1970 by members of the Law
Erected by City of Savannah Georgia.
Location. 32° 4.226′ N, 81° 5.714′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Bull Street near Gaston Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 447 Bull Street, Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Former Home of Henry R. Jackson ( a few steps from this marker); Savannah's Marine Corps Memorial ( within shouting distance of this marker); Georgia Historical Society ( about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Comer House ( about 400 feet away); Casimir Pulaski ( about 400 feet away); Pulaski Monument ( about 400 feet away); Congregation Mickve Israel ( about 500 feet away); Warren A. Candler Hospital ( about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 17, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,141 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 17, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2. submitted on August 17, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 3, 4. submitted on February 17, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.