San Leandro in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Historic Best Building
Constructed in 1910, the Best Building opened in 1911 housing the San Leandro State Bank. The building featured classical Beaux Arts detail and ornamentation. The architect used white terracotta tiles on the exterior and imported marble for the wainscoting and stair entrances in the interior. The building was restored in 1973-1974 by the Best Building Partnership.
Best also constructed a theater next door to the bank. It opened showing silent films, but on July 19, 1913, Thomas Edisonís first moving and talking picture was shown at the Best Theater.
Location. 37° 43.495′ N, 122° 9.323′ W. Marker is in San Leandro, California, in Alameda County. Marker is at the intersection of East 14th Street (California Route 185) and Estudillo Avenue, on the left when traveling south on East 14th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1300 East 14th Street, San Leandro CA 94577, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Masonic Temple (within shouting distance of this marker); Masonic Temple Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Little Brown Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Casa Peralta (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Daniel & Meta Best Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); San Leandro – Cherry Festivals (approx. 0.2 miles away); De Anza Expedition 1775 - 1776 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rancho San Antonio (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Leandro.
Also see . . . The Daniel Best Stream Tractor - Oakland Museum. One of Daniel Best's inventions was the Daniel Best Steam Tractor. Built in San Leandro by the Daniel Best Steam Traction Co. (ca. 1903-1907), this tractor was originally used in hauling logs for the California Sugar and White Pine Lumber Company in Shasta County. (Submitted on April 22, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 424 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 22, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.