Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pope Valley in Napa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Pope Valley Store

 
 
Pope Valley Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 9, 2011
1. Pope Valley Store Marker
Inscription. Standing at the crossroads of Pope Valley, this store was the center of activities for the area's residents for nearly a century, and served as a stopover for people traveling to the mines in Lake County. It was built about 1875 and in 1913 a second gable roofed building was attached. The "store" housed a post office, a saloon, hotel, and sold food and hardware. The store was bought by Thomas L.G. Neil about 1912 after his house in Berryessa Valley burned. He moved to Pope Valley in that same year. An adjacent barn served as a garage that served as one of the first AAA stations in the state. The store remained a family operation into the late 20th Century.
Plaque dedicated April 22, 2006 by
Sam Brannan Chapter #1004 E Clampus Vitus
Credo Quia Absurdum
 
Erected 2006 by Sam Brannan Chapter No. 1004 E Clampus Vitus.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 38° 36.901′ N, 122° 25.705′ W. Marker is in Pope Valley, California, in Napa County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Pope Valley Road and Howell Mountain Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pope Valley CA 94567, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
Pope Valley Store Marker - wide view image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 9, 2011
2. Pope Valley Store Marker - wide view
The marker is visible here to the left of the door on the porch, below the Hamm's beer sign.
within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pope Valley Garage (within shouting distance of this marker); The Henry Haus Blacksmith and Wagonmaker Shop (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Littos Hubcap Ranch (approx. 2 miles away); Larkmead Winery / Kornell Cellars (approx. 6.4 miles away); The White Church (approx. 6.5 miles away); Reason P. Tucker (approx. 6.7 miles away); Bale Grist Mill (approx. 6.8 miles away); Dr. Edward Turner Bale (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pope Valley.
 
Regarding Pope Valley Store. Mildred Hoover and Douglas Kyle, in Historic Spots in California note that, "...the Pope Valley Store was first opened in 1888; Thomas Neil added a saloon and a seven-room hotel, which were operated by him and later by his son, Elgy Neil. The place was closed when the latter died in 1970."
 
Additional comments.
1. Additional Information Regarding the Marker Dedication
John Dolzadell was Noble Grand Humbug when this plaque was dedicated. Plaque wording by Loren A. Wilson.
    — Submitted April 23, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California.

2. Thw Pope Valley Store
The Pope Valley
Pope Valley Store - Old Gas Pump image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 9, 2011
3. Pope Valley Store - Old Gas Pump
Store was built about 1875 as a one-story gable-roofed building. In the 1880s a second one-story gable-roofed building was attached to the original structure. In 1912, Thomas L. G. Neil purchased the structure from Henry Schaeffer and added a second story to the 1880s addition. For nearly 100 years the Pope Valley Store was the center of activities for the residents of Pope Valley. The store was also a stopover for the people traveling to and from the mines in Lake County. The two story building had the general store and saloon downstairs, and a seven room hotel upstairs. The original one story building housed the Post Office. A barn to the rear of the store served horses and wagons into the 1920s when Thomas Neil started a garage which became one of the first AAA stations in California. Thomas Neil had homesteaded in the Berryessa Valley in 1873. When a fire burned his ranch house he moved to Pope Valley and the store. The store sold general merchandise, hardware and dry goods. Thomas Neil who also served as a Deputy Sheriff, ran the store and garage until his death in 1963. His son Elgy Neil, continued operating the store until his death.
    — Submitted April 23, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California.

 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Pope Valley Garage and Store image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 9, 2011
4. Pope Valley Garage and Store
The Pope Valley Garage (the barn mentioned on the Store marker) is visible here on the left, with the Pope Valley Store visible on the right, a bit uphill.
Pope Valley Store image. Click for full size.
circa 1920
5. Pope Valley Store
Pope Valley Store image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 9, 2011
6. Pope Valley Store
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 11, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 957 times since then and 31 times this year. Last updated on April 23, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 11, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.   4. submitted on April 12, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.   5. submitted on April 23, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California.   6. submitted on April 12, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement