Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Strand (Elmwood) Theater
Albert W. Cornelius, Architect
designated in 1982
A fire closed the theater again in 1988. When it was rumored that the building would be replaced with shops, friends of the theater created the Elmwood Theater Foundation which purchased and renovated the building with a City loan. The theater reopened in 1994.
Erected 2000 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
Location. 37° 51.405′ N, 122° 15.193′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County. Marker is on College Avenue south of Asby Avenue (California Route 13), on the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2966 College Avenue, Berkeley CA 94705, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Kelsey Ranch (approx. 0.2 miles away); Claremont Public Improvements (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Muir School (approx. half a mile away); Claremont Court Gate and Street Markers (approx. half a mile away); J. Gorman & Son Building (approx. half a mile away); American Baptist Seminary of the West - Hobart Hall (approx. 0.6 miles away); "In Tribute to Chiura Obata" (approx. 0.6 miles away); Soda Works Building (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
Regarding Strand (Elmwood) Theater. The Strand Theatre was operating prior to 1941. It was actually listed as (Closed) in 1941 through to 1943. Reopened again by 1950 it was still the Strand Theatre in 1952.
Later renamed Elmwood Theatre, by 2009 it was operated by the independent Rialto Cinemas chain.
Source: Cinema Treasures - http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/5085
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 552 times since then and 41 times this year. Last updated on April 24, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 21, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.