Moundsville in Marshall County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
West Virginia Penitentiary
men and women convicted of
felonies until prison for wom-
en was established at Pence
Springs, 1947. Capital criminals
were hanged here, 1889-1950.
Electric chair used until death
penalty was abolished. 1965.
Erected 2008 by West Virginia Archives & History.
Location. 39° 54.946′ N, 80° 44.588′ W. Marker is in Moundsville, West Virginia, in Marshall County. Marker is on Jefferson Avenue south of 8th Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. This historic marker is located across the street from the Moundsville (Grave Creek) Mound, and next to the front entrance to the old West Virginia State Penitentiary. Marker is in this post office area: Moundsville WV 26041, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grave Creek Mound (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marshall County Commemorates Service Men and Women (approx. ¼ mile away); Civil War Cannons (approx. ¼ mile away); Benjamin C. Criswell (approx. ¼ mile away); Moundsville / Capt. James Harrod Volunteers in the Spanish-American War (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Brick School House (approx. ¼ mile away); Recipients of the Purple Heart (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moundsville.
Also see . . .
1. Former West Virginia Penitentiary. This is a link to information provided by the Moundsville Economic Development Council. (Submitted on April 27, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. West Virginia State Penitentiary. This is a link to information provided by Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. (Submitted on April 27, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 655 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 27, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.