McCormick in McCormick County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
McCormick Train Station
Department of Archives
of Historic Places
Location. 33° 54.7′ N, 82° 17.567′ W. Marker is in McCormick, South Carolina, in McCormick County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and West Augusta Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mc Cormick SC 29835, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McCormick County Veterans Monument (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); McCormick County / MACK (about 700 feet away); McCormick County Confederate Monument (about 700 feet away); Dorn Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dorn’s Mill / Dorn Gold Mine (was approx. ¼ mile away but has been reported missing. ); Badwell / Badwell Cemetery (approx. 2½ miles away); Welcome to Baker Creek State Park (approx. 4.3 miles away); Long Canes Massacre (approx. 5.3 miles away); Long Cane Associated Reformed Presbyterian Church (approx. 5.3 miles away); Edmunds Family History / Samuel Calhoun Edmunds (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McCormick.
Also see . . .
1. McCormick Train Station (Charleston & Western Carolina Railway Depot). The McCormick Train Station is a one-story frame building built ca. 1911. (Submitted on April 30, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Charleston and Western Carolina Railway. The Charleston and Western Carolina Railway (C&WC) was formed in 1896 to operate the lines of the former Port Royal and Augusta Railway (PR&A) and the Port Royal and Western Carolina Railway (PR&WC). (Submitted on April 30, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Augusta, Knoxville and Railroad. The Augusta, Knoxville and Greenwood Railroad was a South Carolina railroad company chartered shortly after the end of the Reconstruction period. (Submitted on April 30, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. McCormick Train Station - National Register Nomination Form (1985)
Description: The McCormick Train Station is a one-story frame building built ca. 1911. The building is a long rectangular building located between Main Street and the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad line. The building has a gable roof with wide eaves supported by brackets. Beneath the eaves are exposed roof rafters. The building has shiplap siding, original six-over-six windows, and the original
Significance: The McCormick Train Station was constructed ca. 1911 by the Charleston and Western Carolina Railroad. The present station appears to be the third constructed on this site. The first station was built by the Greenwood and Augusta Railroad (later the Augusta and Knoxville Railroad) in 1882 with the assistance of Cyrus McCormick. McCormick purchased stock in both the Augusta and Knoxville railroad and the Savannah Valley Railroad and through his influence both of them intersected at his land in McCormick. The first train station was a frame building and stood until ca. 1900. A second station was then constructed by the Charleston and Western Carolina Railroad and stood until ca. 1910. The present station was constructed by 1912 and has served as the passenger and freight depot for the community throughout much of this century. The station is no longer used by the railroad. The building is a good example of vernacular stations constructed in the state in the early 20th century and illustrates
— Submitted April 30, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 30, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 468 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 30, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.