Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Georgetown Community United Methodist Church

 
 
Georgetown Community United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2012
1. Georgetown Community United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. During the 1850s the Methodists were the first to serve in the mining towns of El Dorado County. Some ministers traveled on horseback from one mining town to another with a Bible and a Colt Revolver. Known as Georgetown Methodist Episcopal Church, the cornerstone was laid March 3, 1889 at the Northwest corner of Church and Placer Streets. In 1937 the name was changed, and on August 18, 1961 the church was moved to its present site.
 
Erected 1989 by El Dorado Parlor 186, Native Daughters of the Golden West.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 54.621′ N, 120° 50.178′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, California, in El Dorado County. Marker can be reached from Church Street north of School Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is located in the parking lot across from the church building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2853 Church Street, Georgetown CA 95634, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Georgia Slide (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Georgetown School (approx. 0.2 miles away); American River Inn
Georgetown Community United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2012
2. Georgetown Community United Methodist Church Marker
(approx. mile away); The American Hotel (approx. mile away); Georgetown Blues (approx. mile away); Georgetown - Pride of the Sierra / Growlersburg / E Clampus Vitus (approx. mile away); Miners Club (approx. mile away); Georgetown Firehouse (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
Also see . . .  History of the Church. By 1851 Methodist circuit riders were preaching on the Divide. One tale tells of a circuit riding preacher who was badgered by an inebriated patron of a bar doing double duty as a m eeting house. The next week the preacher came into the bar with a revolver in one hand and a Bible in the other. He put both objects on the bar and asked, "Now, are there any questions?" (Submitted on May 4, 2012.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. The Methodists Church
Methodists have been gathering in this area since 1851, but have had problems finding a building of their own. Their first church burned, finances floundered a second attempt. The congregation shared a hall until they
View of the Church from the Parking Lot image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2012
3. View of the Church from the Parking Lot
were able to raise $1,500. A cornerstone was laid in 1889, and the building debt was completely paid off by the time the church was dedicated. Two new lots were purchased in 1961, and the church was dismantled from its foundation and carefully hauled to its present location.
Source: Georgetown Walking Tour Brochure.
    — Submitted May 4, 2012.

 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Georgetown Community United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2012
4. Georgetown Community United Methodist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 329 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 4, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement