Monterey in Monterey County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The California Riviera
Historic Cannery Row
Monterey land baron David Jacks bought Casa de Las Olas after Hugh Tevis, passed away, but soon sold it to Montana millionaire James A. Murray. The Murray family, some of whom are seen here setting out for a Sunday drive circa 1912 (middle), renamed the estate Hacienda Grande and occupied the home for about 36 years.
In 1900, when construction of the Tevis place began, the local press conjectured that “Monterey may yet become the Newport of the Pacific Coast” (bottom). However, the silver harvest of sardines was about to begin and with it, the creation of Cannery Row, whose “stink” became the smell of prosperity. The San Carlos Canning Company bought the Tevis-Murray estate in 1941 and tore it down to build a new cannery in 1944.
Location. 36° 36.703′ N, 121° 53.858′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Cannery Row, Monterey CA 93940, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edward Ricketts (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cannery Divers Memorial (about 600 feet away); Trains and Canneries (about 700 feet away); Hurray for Hollywood (about 700 feet away); Associated Oil Fire – 1924 (about 700 feet away); Monterey Breakwater (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Canning Processes (approx. 0.2 miles away); Monterey’s First Fishermen (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monterey.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 10, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 526 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 10, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.