Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greenville in Montcalm County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Greenville

 
 
Greenville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cameron Zwart, May 6, 2012
1. Greenville Marker
Inscription. In 1844 John and Deborah Green and their children moved to Montcalm County from their native New York. He purchased land, which now encompasses more than half the town, and erected a dam and sawmill on this site. As the town grew, it became the commercial center of the county serving the expanding white pine lumber industry along the Flat River. Green financed many of the early businesses, and so when the city was chartered in 1871, Green's Village was officially named Greenville in honor of its founder.
 
Erected 1976 by Flat River Historical Society and the Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number 413.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 10.91′ N, 85° 15.286′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Michigan, in Montcalm County. Marker is on North Franklin Street 0.1 miles north of West Montcalm Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located in Tower Park. Across the street from the Flat River Historical Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 213 N Franklin St, Greenville MI 48838, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies
Flat River Historical Museum image. Click for full size.
By Cameron Zwart, May 6, 2012
2. Flat River Historical Museum
The Flat River Historical Museum stands on the most historic site in Greenville. It was here in Greenville, Michigan that John Green, of Fulton County, New York, chose to build his cabin in 1844; and with the help of his brother-in-law, Samuel Demorest, and Demorests' sons, Clark and Samuel, constructed a dam across the Flat River and built a sawmill. With a vast forest of white pine on the North bank of the river the history of Danes in Michigan began.
. Pere Marquette Railway Depot (approx. 5.9 miles away); Alvah N. Belding Library (approx. 6 miles away); Belrockton Dormitory (approx. 6 miles away); Smyrna (approx. 8.5 miles away); White's Bridge (approx. 11.8 miles away); Alton Pioneer Village (approx. 12.4 miles away); Fallasburg Pioneer Village (approx. 14.2 miles away); John Wesley Fallas House / John W. Fallas (approx. 14.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Greenville, Michigan. Wikipedia (Submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan.) 

2. Flat River Historical Museum. Flat River Historical Society (Submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan.) 

3. City of Greenville. City of Greenville (Submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan.) 

4. Greenville Informational Designation. Center for Geographic Information (Submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. This page has been viewed 503 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement