Near Brackettville in Kinney County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Erected 1995 by Fort Clark Historical Society. (Marker Number 1.)
Location. 29° 17.376′ N, 100° 25.488′ W. Marker is near Brackettville, Texas, in Kinney County. Marker is on Pecan Road, on the left. Touch for map. Marker is locate on Fort Clark Springs and is accessible to the public. Marker is at or near this postal address: at entrance to the Fort Clark Golf Course, Brackettville TX 78832, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Seminole Scout Camp on Fort Clark (approx. 0.7 miles away); John Horse (approx. 0.8 miles away); Site of Original Post Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Commanding Officer's Quarters (was approx. one mile away but has been reported missing. ); Staff Officers' Quarters (approx. one mile away); U.S. Army Signal Corps Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); 1873 Infantry Barracks (approx. 1.1 miles away); Adjutant's Quarters (Quarters #20) (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brackettville.
More about this marker.
Also see . . . Friends of the Fort Clark Historic District. Guided tours, presentations and programs, genealogical and archival research assistance ... and much more. (Submitted on August 13, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.)
1. Forsyth Bridge
On Saturday, April 29, 1995 the Fort Clark Historical Society dedicated its first “local marker.” The guest of honor was Mrs. Elizabeth Forsyth Scheuber, of San Angelo, Texas. Miss Elizabeth descended from soldier ancestors as familiar to military men of the late 19th and early 20th century as MacArthur is to later generations. Her grandfather, Major General James W. Forsyth, while Colonel of the 7th Cavalry in 1891, was in command at Wounded Knee, the final engagement of the Indian Wars. He graduated 28th from the U.S. Military Academy class of 1856, having experienced as a cadet the example and mentorship of Robert E. Lee, then Superintendent of West Point. For his gallantry and meritorious service during the Civil War, Forsyth was honored with three brevet promotions, achieving the rank of Brigadier General of Volunteers by warís end. He became Major of the newly formed
With the coming of the Spanish American War young William Dennison Forsyth followed his father into the army, being appointed a lieutenant in the 1st Ohio Cavalry in April 1898. When the “Splendid Little War” ended Lieutenant Forsyth cast his lot with the Regular Army. He was assigned to the 19th Infantry and served with Major Francis H. French for a short time before being transferred to the 5th Cavalry at Fort Clark in October of 1898. Before the year ended the regiment deployed to the Philippines. Except for short periods of schooling at the Infantry and Cavalry Schools in 1905 and
Following service in the World War, where he received promotion to Colonel, he returned to the Regiment which had been his home and in August 1921 was given command of the 5th Cavalry then posted at Camp Marfa, Texas. In the fall of 1921 the 5th Cavalry moved to Fort Clark. Miss Elizabeth, then six years old, remembered the journey to Fort Clark as riding in an open staff car with her mother and bivouacking each night with the soldiers who were on horseback. When the Forsyth family arrived at Fort Clark they moved into Quarters #29, the Post Commanderís house (Wainwright House). In 1922 the 1st Cavalry Brigade was formed at Fort Clark and a General Officer would now occupy the Post Commanderís house forcing the Forsyths to move to Quarters #24 (Patton House). Miss Elizabeth had many fond memories of her childhood at Fort Clark and her privileged status as “the Colonelís daughter.” She remembered being picked up each morning in front of the quarters by an Army escort wagon to take her to school. She also recalled a very special occasion when her mother got out the best silver and prepared an elegant meal for an old friend of her fatherís who made a social call to Fort Clark, General John J. Pershing
— Submitted May 20, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 380 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 13, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.