The City that Disappeared
The campground, really a temporary village covering about 150 acres, consisted of the grove, a large pasture fenced by native sod and a ditch, and a burial ground located on the elevated ridge between the grove and the farm. Though one or two permanent structures were erected, most residents lived in tents, wagon boxes or make-shift dwellings.
During the peak year of emigration at Mormon Grove in 1855, nearly 2,000 Latter-Day Saints with 337 wagons left here for the Salt Lake Valley. It was also a tragic year for the U.S., British, and European Mormons at the little way station, many dying in a cholera epidemic.
In 1856, Iowa City, Iowa, became the major jump-off point for Latter-Day Saint westward travel, and Mormon Grove became a forgotten gathering place.
Erected by Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints and Kansas Historical Society. (Marker Number 117.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kansas Historical Society, and the Mormon Pioneer Trail marker series.
Location. 39° 33.432′ N,
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Atchison (approx. 2.8 miles away); Frank R. Firth (approx. 3.1 miles away); Astronauts of the Shuttle Columbia (approx. 3.2 miles away); John Alexander Martin (approx. 3.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.2 miles away); Birthplace of the Santa Fe Railway Company (approx. 3.8 miles away); Working Men of the Railroads (approx. 3.8 miles away); 4th of July, 1804 Creek (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atchison.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 14, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 402 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 14, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.