Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brackettville in Kinney County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Kinney County Jail

 
 
Kinney County Jail Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, May 4, 2012
1. Kinney County Jail Marker
Inscription. Kinney County’s first jail, a small square simple stone structure built by James Cornell in 1873 and torn down in 1922, stood across Ann Street on the courthouse grounds, where the flagpole now stands. This second county jail was accepted by the commissioner’s court on January 20, 1885 and was at the time the finest stone building ever constructed in Kinney County. The Gothic revival style building was designed by the architectural firm of Wahrenberger and Beckmann of San Antonio and built in 1884 of ashlared limestone blocks by John Waite at a cost of $16,000. The jail was remodeled in 1936-37 including removal of the second story due to structural damage from a series of disastrous storms. This durable building served as the county jail for 91 years, until 1976, when it was replaced by the law enforcement complex on North Street. Subsequent uses of the building include a dental clinic and the county nutrition center. Texas is very proud of its jails and Kinney County is no exception.
 
Erected 2007 by Kinney County Historical Commission.
 
Location. 29° 18.693′ N, 100° 25.014′ W. Marker is in Brackettville, Texas, in Kinney County. Marker is on Ann Street (Ranch to Market Road 674), on the right when traveling
Kinney County Jail image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, June 13, 2007
2. Kinney County Jail
north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 416 South Ann St, Brackettville TX 78832, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Clark, CSA (within shouting distance of this marker); Kinney County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Las Moras Masonic Lodge Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Partrick Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Catholic Church (about 700 feet away); Filippone Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Montalvo House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Military Roads in Texas (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brackettville.
 
More about this marker. This bronze marker is in the shape of Kinney County, includes the logo of the Historical Commission and a period photo etching of the jail.

LOGO DESCRIPTION - The circular shape, lettering, and map of Texas are in harmony with the logo of the Texas Historical Commission. “1850” identifies the year Kinney County was formed. The STAR locates Kinney County on the Texas map [the single most recognizable geographic shape in the world]. The BLUE BACKGROUND represents the cool waters of Las Moras Spring, the source and lifeblood of our community. A
Historic view of the Kinney County Jail used on the marker image. Click for full size.
Zack Davis Collection, circa 1885
3. Historic view of the Kinney County Jail used on the marker
This imposing structure is one of the finest stone buildings ever constructed in Kinney County. Some of the men in this photo have the look of desperados who should be inside instead of outside.
STAGECOACH facing west across Texas evokes the origins of Brackettville as a stage stop on the “Lower Road” to California. The “U.S.S.” [1903 branch insignia for United States Scouts] singles out Kinney County’s long and proud relationship with the United States Army and specifically the Seminole-Negro Indian Scouts, Fort Clark’s most heroic unit, and their four Congressional Medal of Honor recipients buried here.

At present it is the only marker erected by the County Historical Commission.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 412 times since then and 47 times this year. Last updated on May 17, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 4, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement