Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nauvoo in Hancock County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Historic Nauvoo

 
 
Historic Nauvoo Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, April 19, 2012
1. Historic Nauvoo Marker
Inscription. In 1839 the Mormons, or Latter Day Saints, settled at Nauvoo and made it their chief city. During their residence its population reached 15,000. After long friction with non-Mormons the Mormons were expelled in 1846. Three years later French communists called Icarians established a society here which lasted until 1857.
 
Erected 1936 by the State of Illinois.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Illinois State Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 40° 33.062′ N, 91° 21.83′ W. Marker is in Nauvoo, Illinois, in Hancock County. Marker is on North Horton Street (Illinois Route 96) south of Young Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nauvoo IL 62354, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Prophet's Last Ride (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Icarian Community in Nauvoo (approx. 1.2 miles away); Nauvoo, Illinois (approx. 1.4 miles away); Mansion House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Nauvoo Survey Stone (approx. 1.6 miles away); Bidamon Stable
Historic Nauvoo Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, April 19, 2012
2. Historic Nauvoo Marker
View west on IL-96.
(approx. 1.6 miles away); Nauvoo House (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Homestead (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nauvoo.
 
Also see . . .  Historic Nauvoo. (Submitted on May 18, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 17, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 280 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 17, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement