Highland Park in Lake County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Commercial Club of Chicago, concerned since 1877 with the need for a military garrison, was motivated by the Haymarket Riot in 1886 to arrange for the donation of 632 acres of land to the Federal Government for this purpose. Troops arrived in November 1887 and were used in 1894 to quell labor unrest during the Pullman strike.
Fort Sheridan became a mobilization, training, and administrative center beginning with the Spanish American War in 1898. During World War II, over 500,000 men and women were processed through military service here. Many Army officers who later became famous lived here, including George Patton and Jonathan Wainwright.
The 94 Historic District buildings, built 1889-1910, include 64 structures that were the first major works of architects William Holabird and Martin Roche of Chicago. These earliest buildings are made of bricks molded and fired on site, using clay mined from lakefront bluffs. The water tower, originally the tallest structure in the Chicago area, was altered and shortened by 60 feet in 1940. The row of buildings flanking the tower were troop barracks.
The 110-acre Historic District, placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, was designated
Erected 1997 by The Fort Sheridan Historic Preservation Society and the Illinois State Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Illinois State Historical Society, and the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 42° 13.014′ N, 87° 48.969′ W. Marker is in Highland Park, Illinois, in Lake County. Marker is on Leonard Wood West, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is near the flag pole. Marker is in this post office area: Highland Park IL 60035, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fort Sheridan (a few steps from this marker); The Water Tower (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the First Public Building (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Francis Stupey Log Cabin (approx. 2½ miles away); The Dwyer Settlement in Lake County, Illinois (approx. 5.1 miles away); Adlai Ewing Stevenson II (approx. 5.7 miles away); The Rondout Train Robbery (approx. 6 miles away); "Brick Row" (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Highland Park.
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 646 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 20, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 6. submitted on May 21, 2012. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.