Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Brackettville in Kinney County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fort Clark Historic District

Established 1852

 
 
Fort Clark Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, December 29, 2004
1. Fort Clark Historic District Marker
Inscription. Fort Clark Historic District has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior listed December 6, 1979
 
Erected 2004 by Fort Clark Historical Society. (Marker Number 2.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road marker series.
 
Location. 29° 18.398′ N, 100° 25.14′ W. Marker is near Brackettville, Texas, in Kinney County. Marker is at the intersection of Fort Clark Road and Mackenzie Road, on the right when traveling south on Fort Clark Road. Touch for map. Marker is on Fort Clark Springs in the Fort Clark National Register Historic District and is accessible to the public. Marker is in this post office area: Brackettville TX 78832, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Army Service Club ( within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Clark ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); New Cavalry Barracks ( about 400 feet away); Officers' Club Open Mess ( about 400 feet away); Seminole-Negro Indian Scout Detachment ( about 500 feet
Fort Clark Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, May 20, 2012
2. Fort Clark Historic District Marker
The marker is roadside on the right. In the left foreground is the post powder magazine, built in 1856.
away); U.S. Army Unit Memorial ( about 500 feet away); 2nd Cavalry Division at Fort Clark ( about 500 feet away); Fort Clark Guardhouse ( about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brackettville.
 
More about this marker. Large bronze roadside marker found as you enter the historic district. An excellent place to stop and orient yourself before seeking out the dozens of historical markers to be found on the fort grounds. The marker includes a relief drawing of the "Empty Saddle" statue which welcomes visitors to Fort Clark and is located only a few hundred feet away.
 
Regarding Fort Clark Historic District. In 1981 prominent Texas preservation architect Killis P. Almond, Jr. recognized, “Fort Clark Historic District remains one of the most remarkably intact districts entered into the National Register of Historic Places. The historic integrity of the buildings and site is strong.”

The District ranks as the largest historic military district under private ownership in the State of Texas and possibly the Nation and has been determined by the United States Department of the Interior to have
Fort Clark Historic District image. Click for full size.
Dept of the Interior, National Park Service, December 6, 1979
3. Fort Clark Historic District
a national level of historic and architectural significance.
 
Also see . . .  Friends of the Fort Clark Historic District. Guided tours, presentations and programs, genealogical and archival research assistance ... and much more. (Submitted on August 13, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.) 
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
Fort Clark Historic District image. Click for full size.
Courtesy Old Guardhouse Museum, circa 1946
4. Fort Clark Historic District
Aerial view looking north. The historic district is in the foreground and the City of Brackettville in the distance.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 598 times since then and 53 times this year. Last updated on May 21, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 20, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement