Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Blue Mounds in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Elvers Corner

Vermont Township

 
 
Elvers Corner Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, March 11, 2012
1. Elvers Corner Marker
Inscription. This corner has a colorful background as the site of a saw mill, grist mill, post office, grocery store, hotel, blacksmith shop, dance hall and until 1958 the Town Hall.

In 1847 Samuel Lattimer built a saw mill that operated until 1865 when it was converted to a grist mill. In 1876 the mill passed to Charles Elver. In 1877 John Lohrs build a two-story frame store and hotel opposite the mill. On September 14, 1878 a post office named Elvers was established here.
 
Location. 43° 4.19′ N, 89° 47.84′ W. Marker is near Blue Mounds, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of County Highway J and County Highway JJ, on the right when traveling north on County Highway J. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blue Mounds WI 53517, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Peculiar Corners ( approx. 2.8 miles away); Brigham Park ( approx. 3.1 miles away); a different marker also named Brigham Park ( approx. 3.1 miles away); Vermont Creek ( approx. 3.5 miles away); Army Cargo Plane Crash ( approx. 3.9 miles away); Blue Mounds Fort
Elvers Corner Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, March 11, 2012
2. Elvers Corner Marker
( approx. 4.1 miles away); Site of Blue Mounds Fort ( approx. 4.7 miles away); Old Town ( approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blue Mounds.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Elvers Corner Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, March 11, 2012
3. Elvers Corner Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 22, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 548 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 22, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.
Paid Advertisement