Greensburg in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Sion Church-Herolds Settlement
First Lutheran Church West of the Alleghany Mountains
158 acres called "Good Purpose" preempted for Lutheran Church in 1765.
Warrant Granted 1785
Patent Granted 1789
Log School House and Church built 1772 on site about 300 feet south of this spot.
Erected 1922 by The Pittsburgh Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Location. 40° 16.807′ N, 79° 35.527′ W. Marker is in Greensburg, Pennsylvania, in Westmoreland County. Marker can be reached from Baltzer Meyer Pike 0.1 miles north of Bus Garage Road. Touch for map. Located in the southern portion of Harrolds Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Greensburg PA 15601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Allen (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Fort Allen (approx. ¼ mile away); Toll House (approx. 2.2 miles away); Bushy Run (approx. 2.6 miles away); Train Station at Greensburg (approx. 2.9 miles away); Westmoreland County Arthur Saint Clair (approx. 3.1 miles away); a different marker also named Toll House (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greensburg.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 22, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 385 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on May 22, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 22, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.