Canadian in Hemphill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Church Bell
Congregation held suppers and other projects to repay bank loan on bell.
Later bell was moved to new Presbyterian Church and still is used today.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1721.)
Location. 35° 54.681′ N, 100° 22.908′ W. Marker is in Canadian, Texas, in Hemphill County. Marker is at the intersection of East Purcell Avenue and South 6th Street, on the left when traveling east on East Purcell Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canadian TX 79014, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jones Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church of Canadian (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); W.C.T.U. Building (about 500 feet away); Hemphill County Jail (about 700 feet away); R. Dick Bussell (about 700 feet away); John Hemphill (about 700 feet away); Mary B. Isaacs (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Former Canadian Hospital (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canadian.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 313 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 28, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.