St. Benedict in Nemaha County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Grotto at St. Mary's Church
The Grotto at St. Mary's Church, inspired by Our Lady of Lourdes', was built in 1936 under the direction of Rev. Cyril Bayer, OSB and William Wallace Van Liew of Atchison, Kansas. The site of daily recitation of the Rosary during WWII, parishioners thank Our Heavenly Mother for no loss of life of a serviceman from the parish during the war.
Erected by Members of St. Mary's Parish.
Location. 39° 53.153′ N, 96° 5.898′ W. Marker is in St. Benedict, Kansas, in Nemaha County. Touch for map. Marker is at the Grotto, just north of the church, which is located north of 176th Street (Kansas 178). Marker is at or near this postal address: 9208 Main Street, Seneca KS 66538, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Liberty School Bell ( within shouting distance of this marker); World War Memorial ( approx. 3.9 miles away); War Memorial ( approx. 3.9 miles away); The Seneca Post Office ( approx. 4 miles away); City Hall ( approx. 4 miles away); The Seneca Free Library ( approx. 4 miles away); The Buggy Store ( approx. 4 miles away); The First National Bank ( approx. 4 miles away).
Also see . . . History of St. Mary's Church (Submitted on May 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Patriots & Patriotism • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 382 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.