Pampa in Gray County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
White Deer Land Building
Erected in 1916
Organized from wreckage of the bankrupt Francklyn Land and Cattle Company—whose chief stockholder was Lord Rosebery, Prime Minister of England—the White Deer Company developed during widespread British speculation in Texas cattle and ranching, 1870s-80s.
At its beginning, the London-financed and Wall-Street-based trust owned land equal in area to the state of Rhode Island. These 631,000 acres lay in Gray, Roberts, Carson, and Hutchinson Counties.
The company (managed by George Tyng, T.D. Hobart, C.P. Buckler, and M.K. Brown) surveyed the land, laid out farms and ranches, sank wells, built hundreds of miles of wire fence, and aided civic projects. During the disastrous drouth of 1910, it made available to local farmers $100,000 in loans to by wheat seed.
Upon the discovery of oil on White Deer land in 1921, the firm made vast gains by retaining half of the mineral rights on remaining land sold. It was liquidated in 1957. This building has also housed a Masonic Lodge, post office, medical and dental offices, and has accommodated religious services.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee
Location. 35° 32.105′ N, 100° 57.675′ W. Marker is in Pampa, Texas, in Gray County. Marker is on South Cuyler Street south of West Foster Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 116 South Cuyler Street, Pampa TX 79065, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oil Discovery in Gray County (a few steps from this marker); Quanah Parker Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Vittorio Emanuel von Brunow, M. D. (within shouting distance of this marker); Pioneer Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); First National Bank in Pampa (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1934 Pampa Post Office Building (about 500 feet away); Pampa (about 500 feet away); Pampa City Hall (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pampa.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 358 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 31, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.