Sumter in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Baptist Church
This church was organized as Shiloh Baptist Church, 1868. The name was changed, 1931. First black Baptist church in town. Located on S. Main St., near Bee St. Rev. Ben Lawson, first pastor, served for thirty-odd years.
The second location was also on Main St., between Bartlette and W. Oakland Ave. Here, 1877, the state Baptist Missionary, Educational and Sunday School Convention was organized. One of its greatest works was the founding, 1908, of Morris College, which it still owns and operates. Woman's work is an important part of the organization.
1910, the third church was built here. It burned, 1962, was renovated the same year. The state Baptist Y.W.A. and state Usher's Convention were organized here.
Rev. W.S. Randolph has served as pastor since 1960. The present church was built, 1977. Church sponsored Shiloh ~ Randolph Manor, elderly housing, 1978.
A legacy of faith and devotion inspires this pioneer missionary to challenge and enlarge its opportunities to minister.
Erected 1989 by Sumter County Historical Commission.
Location. 33° 54.872′ N, 80° 20.698′ W. Marker is in Sumter, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sumter SC 29150, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mount Pisgah African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Kendall Institute (approx. 0.3 miles away); Clara Louise Kellogg (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sumterville Academy (approx. half a mile away); Sumter District Confederate Dead (approx. half a mile away); Temple Sinai (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named First Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Sumter's Court Houses (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sumter.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 3, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 442 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 3, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.