Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Canyon in Randall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Co. F, 2nd Bn., 142nd Inf., 36th Div., Texas National Guard

 
 
Co. F, 2nd Bn., 142nd Inf., 36th Div., Texas National Guard Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 3, 2012
1. Co. F, 2nd Bn., 142nd Inf., 36th Div., Texas National Guard Marker
Inscription. The 36th Division of the U.S. Army served with distinction in World War II. When mobilized, Company F of the Division's 142nd Infantry consisted primarily of Randall County soldiers, including ten sets of brothers, as well as a father and son. The unit deployed for Italy in 1943 and was among those landing at Salerno. The men actively served in the European theater of operation, spending 400 days in combat, participating in two assault landings and receiving seven campaign streamers. During the war, eight local men lost their lives and two received the Distinguished Service Cross. From 1951 to 1968, when it disbanded, the company trained at a National Guard Armory at this site.
 
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15505.)
 
Location. 34° 58.793′ N, 101° 54.319′ W. Marker is in Canyon, Texas, in Randall County. Marker is on 4th Avenue (Route 217) 0.2 miles west of Russell Long Boulevard (Texas Highway 48 Spur), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canyon TX 79015, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of an Early Barbed Wire Fence in the Panhandle (here, next to this marker); Georgia O'Keeffe in Canyon
Co. F, 2nd Bn., 142nd Inf., 36th Div., Texas National Guard Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 3, 2012
2. Co. F, 2nd Bn., 142nd Inf., 36th Div., Texas National Guard Marker
Marker is at the far right.
(approx. 0.6 miles away); T-Anchor Ranch (approx. 0.6 miles away); Buffalo Courts (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Charles Goodnight Memorial Trail (approx. 0.7 miles away); First National Bank (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mary E. Hudspeth House (approx. one mile away); First Methodist Church (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canyon.
 
Categories. War, World II
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 4, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 368 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 4, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement