Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Weaverville in Trinity County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Trinity County Courthouse

 
 
Trinity County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2012
1. Trinity County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. This building is one of the oldest courthouses in continuous use in California. It was built in 1857 by Henry Hocker as a hotel, store and saloon and was purchased by the Board of Supervisors in 1865. The rear section was added in 1935. The center section was completed in 1958.

The first courthouse, built in 1853 and located on the hill at the head of Court Street, was destroyed by fire in 1866, a few days after the Board had advertised it for sale at auction.
 
Erected 1976 by E Clampus Vitus, Trinitarianus Chapter 62.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 40° 44.054′ N, 122° 56.458′ W. Marker is in Weaverville, California, in Trinity County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street and Main Street (California Route 229) on Court Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 Court Street, Weaverville CA 96093, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of First Cabin ( a few steps from this marker); I.O.O.F. Hall ( within shouting distance of this marker); Clifford Hall ( within shouting distance of this marker);
Trinity County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2012
2. Trinity County Courthouse Marker
Additional plaques mounted on the building:
Second from the bottom:
In Memory of
William C. “Bill” Jackson
Deputy Sherriff of Trinity County
Killed in the Performance of
His Duty April 27, 1971
Erected by
Trinity County Employees Association
Lower plaque:
In Memory of
E. Jose – D. Haskell
B. Montgomery
Express Messengers
Killed on Duty
Placed by
N.S.G.W. and N.D.G.W.
Spanish Corral ( within shouting distance of this marker); Weaverville Basin Gold Discovery Site ( within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Courthouse ( within shouting distance of this marker); Spiral Staircases ( within shouting distance of this marker); Weaverville Drug Store ( within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weaverville.
 
Categories. GovernmentNotable Buildings
 
Trinity County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2012
3. Trinity County Courthouse
Trinity County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2012
4. Trinity County Courthouse
Nearby Marker and Bandstand image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer
5. Nearby Marker and Bandstand

Weaverville Bandstand
Erected 1901
Dedicated to the Weaverville Ladies Eltapome Band and the pioneer musicians who played an important part in the early day social life of the town.
Trinitarianus Chapter No. 62 E Clampus Vitus
July 23, 1966
Weaverville Bandstand and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer
6. Weaverville Bandstand and Marker
Weaverville Bandstand image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer
7. Weaverville Bandstand
Interesting Water Fountain near the Weaverville Bandstand image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer
8. Interesting Water Fountain near the Weaverville Bandstand
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 328 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on June 5, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement