Friona in Parmer County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
A controversy between Friona and Farwell over the location of the county seat led to an election in 1913. Voters chose Farwell and Friona residents contested the results, but a court ruled in 1916 in favor of Farwell. That year, S.A. Harris began publishing a local newspaper, the Friona Sentinel; it became the Friona Star in 1925. Residents voted to incorporate the city in 1928, electing John W. White as mayor.
In the latter part of the 20th century, Friona served as a regional marketing center for agricultural and beef products, and claimed the distinction of “Grain Sorghum
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2067.)
Location. 34° 38.287′ N, 102° 43.101′ W. Marker is in Friona, Texas, in Parmer County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (State Highway 214) and East 8th Street, on the right when traveling north on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 700 South Main Street, Friona TX 79035, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Friona Schools (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of First Church in City of Friona (approx. 0.2 miles away); Friona Women's Clubs (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Parmerton (approx. 6.2 miles away); Black Community (approx. 7.4 miles away); Bovina (approx. 12.6 miles away); Bovina Cemetery (approx. 12.6 miles away); Bovina United Methodist Church (approx. 12.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Friona.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 308 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 6, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.