Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Weaverville in Trinity County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Paymaster Mine Stampmill

 
 
Paymaster Mine Stampmill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2012
1. Paymaster Mine Stampmill Marker
Inscription. The Paymaster Goldmine in Eastman Gulch, northeast of Lewiston, was located by Billy Richards, Bob Hamilton and Gene Goodyear in 1901. The original mill was built about 1904. The machinery was dismantled, restored and re-erected in this similar mill building in 1984 by the Trinity County Historical Society. The mill is steam and is fully operable. It is used to crush gold bearing ore, freeing the gold from the rock, to be recovered by amalgamation with quicksilver.
 
Location. 40° 43.797′ N, 122° 56.387′ W. Marker is in Weaverville, California, in Trinity County. Marker is on Main Street (California Route 3 / 229), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 780 Main Street, Weaverville CA 96093, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trinity Congregational Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Lee Family Ranch House (within shouting distance of this marker); Joss House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Won Lim Miao (about 600 feet away); Pacific Brewery (about 800 feet away); Weaverville Chinatown
Paymaster Mine Stampmill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2012
2. Paymaster Mine Stampmill Marker
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Cameron Building Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Weaverville Fire Station (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weaverville.
 
More about this marker. The Paymaster Stampmill is an outdoor exhibit on grounds of the Jake Jackson Memorial Museum. The museum is run by the Trinity County Historical Society. In addition to numerous indoor and outdoor exhibits, the museum also house the historical society's research library.
 
Also see . . .  Jake Jackson Memorial Museum - Trintiy County Historical Society. The objective of the Trinity County Historical Society is to discover, collect, preserve and disseminate knowledge about the history of Trinity County. It is an organization of volunteers and all of its activities and accomplishments are due to the interest and effort of its members. The Trinity Pioneer Association and the Society of Old Settlers, an organization consisting of pioneers who arrived in the community prior to 1860, preceded the Historical Society (Submitted on June 6, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Jake Jackson Memorial Museum image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2012
3. Jake Jackson Memorial Museum
Waterwheel image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2012
4. Waterwheel
Waterwheel Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2012
5. Waterwheel Plaque
This is the rim of an undershot water wheel used to power the arrastra at the Maple Mine near Dedrick. It is 15 9” in diameter, with 91 cups, handmade at the mine about 1919 by William N. “Billy” Clarke. 4 large boulders were drug around in a tub to crush the ore. One of the boulders is beside the lawn near the ore car.
Hydralulic Monitor or 'Giant' image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 19, 2012
6. Hydralulic Monitor or 'Giant'
Fisher Patent 1870
Used at Bloss McClary Mine, Trinity Center and
GGelzean Mine, Junction City
Jake Jackson Memorial Museum image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2012
7. Jake Jackson Memorial Museum
John Jacob "Jake" Jackson Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2012
8. John Jacob "Jake" Jackson Plaque
John Jacob “Jake” Jackson
July 1, 1887 – December 19, 1956
Native of Weaverville
Founder of the Trinity County Historical Society and Developer of this Museum

The Jackson Family
The Trinity County Historical Society
June 23, 1968
Hal E. Goodyear History Park Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2012
9. Hal E. Goodyear History Park Plaque
Hal E. Goodyear History Park
Hal Eugene Goodyear
Native of Trinity County
Co-Founder of the Trinity County Historical Society and Museum, and Developer of the Park and Building Complex.
Dedicated November 9, 2008
Alice Goen Jones History Center Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2012
10. Alice Goen Jones History Center Plaque
Alice Goen Jones History Center
Alice Goen Jones
Developer and Manager of the Trinity County Historical Society Center
February 25, 1912 – June 24, 2010
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 325 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 6, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.   6. submitted on July 30, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.   7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on June 6, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the boulder mentioned in text of photo #5 • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement