Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Junction City in Trinity County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Site of Caņon City

1851 – 1891

 
 
Site of Caņon City Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2012
1. Site of Caņon City Marker
Inscription. Caņon City was established in 1851 and in 1852 had a pop. of 800. The town had a blacksmith shop, two stores, two hotels, one temperance hall, one bakery, two billiard saloons, two express houses, two saw mills, post office, and a one-room school. In 1891 most of the town moved upstream to Dedrick where new strikes of gold were mad.
 
Erected 1982 by E Clampus Vitus, Trinitarianus Chapter No. 62.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 40° 49.793′ N, 123° 3.205′ W. Marker is near Junction City, California, in Trinity County. Marker is on Canyon Creek Road 8.3 miles north of California Route 229, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8690 Canyon Creek Road, Junction City CA 96048, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dedrick ( approx. 3 miles away); Bagdad ( approx. 5.6 miles away); Junction City Centennial ( approx. 6.9 miles away); The La Grange Mine ( approx. 7 miles away); Moving Mountains... ( approx. 7 miles
Site of Caņon City Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2012
2. Site of Caņon City Marker
away); Weaverville Basin Gold Discovery Site ( approx. 8.8 miles away); Site of First Cabin ( approx. 8.9 miles away); Trinity County Courthouse ( approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction City.
 
Categories. Notable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Monitor or Giant image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2012
3. Monitor or Giant
This giant was used on the Apple Tree PMC [?] at Caņon City, CA
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 7, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 257 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 7, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement