Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alpharetta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Oliver-Waters-McCollum Warehouses

circa 1910

 
 
Oliver-Waters-McCollum Warehouses Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 6, 2012
1. Oliver-Waters-McCollum Warehouses Marker
Inscription. Originally the three buildings faced the National Highway, now Old Roswell Road, which was the main road from Roswell to Dahlonega. A brick facade was added in the 1970s. In 1909, John A. Oliver constructed the two-story Oliver warehouse. The first story held offices for Alpharetta Free Press, a federal government cotton allotment office, and Dr. W.W. Phillips. The second story was used for Odd Fellows Lodge and later Alpharetta Masonic Lodge 235. Prior to 1914, D.P. Waters constructed the Waters warehouse, a concrete two-story building, which connected the Oliver and McCollum structures. In the 1940s, it became a chenille factory. The McCollum warehouse was built around 1909. Tenants included a Star Buggy dealer, a Ford automobile dealership and Peavey's store. The only known elevator in Milton County was installed here and still exists.
 
Erected 2008 by City of Alpharetta. (Marker Number 12.)
 
Location. 34° 4.531′ N, 84° 17.711′ W. Marker is in Alpharetta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Milton Avenue and Old Roswell Street, on the right when traveling east on Milton Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20 Milton Avenue, Alpharetta GA 30009, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Oliver-Waters-McCollum Warehouses Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 6, 2012
2. Oliver-Waters-McCollum Warehouses Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Webb Guano House ( a few steps from this marker); R.J. Webb Building ( within shouting distance of this marker); Alpharetta Hotel Site ( within shouting distance of this marker); Alpharetta Business District ( within shouting distance of this marker); Manning Mercantile ( within shouting distance of this marker); Old Milton County ( within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Alpharetta Business District ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); J.J. Webb and Sons Building ( about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alpharetta.
 
More about this marker. The marker is part of the Alpharetta “History Walk,” a walking tour of historic sites in the city.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Oliver-Waters-McCollum Warehouses image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 7, 2012
3. Oliver-Waters-McCollum Warehouses
The Milton Avenue facade
Oliver-Waters-McCollum Warehouses image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 6, 2012
4. Oliver-Waters-McCollum Warehouses
The Old Roswell Street facade, the original front of the buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 291 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 8, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement