Quincy in Plumas County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Arthur W. Keddie
1842 – 1924
Open your hand to let the dream fly free.
A young Scotch Canadian engineer, surveyor and cartographer came to Quincy in 1864, remaining to ply his craft and make history.
His vision of a low gradient, minimum snow rail crossing of the Sierra Nevada via Beckwourth Pass and the Feather River Canyon was realized in 1903 when he was given the franchise to build his route for a newly formed Western Pacific Railway Company.
He was the principal speaker at ceremonies in 1910 at Quincy marking the arrival of the first through passenger train in Plumas County. The town of Keddie and Mt. Keddie bear his name.
Erected 1978 by Las Plumas Chapter No. 8, E Clampus Vitus, F. & A.M., A.O.U.W. and I.O.O.F.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 39° 56.198′ N, 120° 56.782′ W. Marker is in Quincy, California, in Plumas County. Marker is on Main Street (State Highway 89 / 70), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker is mounted on the Main Street side of the building located at the intersection of Main Street and Harbinson Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 388 Main Street, Quincy CA 95971, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Plumas Club (within shouting distance of this marker); Plumas Lodge No. 60 F&AM (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing. ); The Clough/Braden Home (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); World War Memorial (about 500 feet away); Beckwourth Trail – American Ranch (about 500 feet away); Goodwin Law Office (about 600 feet away); Coburn-Variel Home (about 600 feet away); Forest Stationers (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quincy.
More about this marker. In the Las Plumas, the newsletter of the Plumas County Historical Society, it states:
Arthur W. Keddie, 1842-1924. Located on the old Bullard Building, now a restaurant known as Sweet Lorraines,384 West Main Street, Quincy.
This enormous bronze plaque placed by the Clampers commemorates the life and accomplishments of Arthur W. Keddie, a prominent citizen and professional surveyor who was instrumental in many of the early advancements in Plumas County. When originally placed in 1976, it was affixed to the Plumas County Bank building at the corner of Main Street and Harbison Avenue.
Also see . . . Feather River Route - Wikipedia. In the 1860s, Arthur W. Keddie began surveying in the Feather River Canyon, in order to find a suitable route for a railroad line. He eventually found such a route, and helped to found the Oroville and Virginia City Railroad Company in 1867 to build the line. (Submitted on June 14, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 14, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 482 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 14, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.