Quincy in Plumas County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Plumas County’s First School House
Erected in 1857
Trustees – J.W. Thompson & J.C. Church
Teacher – Mr. S.A. Ballou – Nineteen scholars
Erected 1957 by Native Daughters of the Golden West, Plumas Pioneer Parlor No. 219. (Marker Number CHL 625.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 39° 56.336′ N, 120° 54.937′ W. Marker is in Quincy, California, in Plumas County. Marker can be reached from Fairgrounds Road south of Lee Road. Touch for map. The schoolhouse and marker are located on the grounds of the Plumas County Fairgrounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 204 Fairgrounds Road, Quincy CA 95971, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mt. Ingalls Lookout (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Clough/Braden Home (approx. 1.6 miles away); Arthur W. Keddie (approx. 1.6 miles away); Plumas Lodge No. 60 F&AM (was approx. 1.7 miles away but has been reported Plumas Club (approx. 1.7 miles away); Beckwourth Trail – New England Ranch (approx. 1.7 miles away); Beckwourth Trail – American Ranch (approx. 1.7 miles away); Coburn-Variel Home (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quincy.
More about this marker. From the California Office of Historic Preservation website:
In 1857 the residents of the eastern end of American Valley built a school, the first schoolhouse in Plumas County. On July 2, 1857, Mr. S. A. Ballou was engaged as teacher for 19 children. The building is now used for kindergarten purposes (1957).
Location: Plumas Co Fairgrounds, 2 mi E of Quincy via E Main St and Fairgrounds Rd
from the California Office of Historic Preservation website
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 17, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 334 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 17, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 24, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.