Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Stockton in Pecos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fort Stockton Guard House

 
 
Fort Stockton Guard House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, August 30, 2019
1. Fort Stockton Guard House Marker
Inscription.  Founded in 1859, Fort Stockton was abandoned during the Civil War and reestablished in 1867, when this guard house was built. Stone for the structure was quarried locally. The lumber was hauled from Indianola by oxcart. The Guard House consisted of a room with arm and leg irons, a dungeon for solitary confinement, and quarters for guards. It was abandoned in 1886
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966

 
Erected 1966 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2021.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road marker series.
 
Location. 30° 53.217′ N, 102° 52.573′ W. Marker is in Fort Stockton, Texas, in Pecos County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Rooney Street and East 3rd Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Stockton TX 79735, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Stephen's Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hovey School (about
Fort Stockton Guard House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, September 1, 2006
2. Fort Stockton Guard House Marker
400 feet away); O. W. Williams (about 500 feet away); Fort Stockton Officers' Quarters (about 600 feet away); Site of Comanche Springs (about 600 feet away); Koehler's Saloon and Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grey Mule Saloon (approx. 0.3 miles away); Annie Riggs Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Stockton.
 
More about this marker. Historic Fort Stockton is located on the east side of town and consists of original and reconstructed military buildings. Today the site includes Officers' Row, Guardhouse, Enlisted Men's Barracks, and the Parade Grounds. There is a Visitor's Center on the east side of the parade grounds.
 
Categories. Forts, Castles
 
Fort Stockton Guard House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, September 1, 2006
3. Fort Stockton Guard House and Marker
 

More. Search the internet for Fort Stockton Guard House.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 19, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 472 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 6, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.   2, 3. submitted on June 19, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement