Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Pleasanton in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Coughran

 
 
Coughran Marker image. Click for full size.
By John A Hensarling, June 23, 2012
1. Coughran Marker
Inscription. Established on land purchased in 1901, the town of Coughran was named for founder and early settler W. A. "Abe" Coughran. He persuaded the San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf Raildroad to build tracks through his property. The town was platted in 1913; by 1914, Coughran boasted a cotton gin, a post office, a school and creamery, a general store, a hotel, a bank, a weekly newspaper, and a railroad station. The town thrived until about 1918. Coughran's fortunes dwindled in the early 1920s but the town recovered and prospered until another decline following World War II. Postal and rail service were discontinued in 1945, and in 1956 the school was closed. (1998)
 
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11698.)
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 28° 56.66′ N, 98° 24.81′ W. Marker was near Pleasanton, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker was at the intersection of Coughran Road and Dead Horse Road on Coughran Road. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Pleasanton TX 78064, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Pleasanton ( approx. 4.4 miles away); Pleasanton First United Methodist Church
Coughran Marker image. Click for full size.
By John A Hensarling, June 23, 2012
2. Coughran Marker
( approx. 4.5 miles away); Old Rock Schoolhouse ( approx. 4.5 miles away); First Baptist Church of Pleasanton ( approx. 4.6 miles away); Cooper Chapter No. 101, Royal Arch Masons ( approx. 4.6 miles away); Pleasanton City Cemetery ( approx. 4.9 miles away); Pleasanton School Integration ( approx. 5.1 miles away); Site of San Augustine Church ( approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pleasanton.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 451 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement