Pleasanton in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Pleasanton
In 1879, Mildred Mansfield (1816-1892) and her son F. M. (1836-1902) donated land at this site, and the congregation's first sanctuary was completed in 1883. In addition to offering worship and educational programs to its own members, the church also was involved in both foreign and domestic missionary endeavors.
As the congregation grew in size over the years, additional buildings were erected to meet membership needs. New structures were completed in the 1950s and 1960s prior to the church's centennial celebration in 1966. A fire destroyed much of the main church building in February 1972, but the congregation rebuilt and dedicated the renovated structure in October 1974. The Old Rock Schoolhouse, in which the early members had met for worship services, became a part of the church plant in 1986. (1991)
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1666.)
Location. 28° 57.73′ N, 98° 29.17′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pleasanton TX 78064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Rock Schoolhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Pleasanton First United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pleasanton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pleasanton City Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pleasanton School Integration (approx. half a mile away); Cooper Chapter No. 101, Royal Arch Masons (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Ralph Roy Smith (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pleasanton.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 425 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.