Near Pleasanton in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Lucas Community was home to a farming and ranching population. They grew and raised their own produce, grains, dairy and meats. Cotton was the chief crop. In 1890, Sydney S. Smith applied for a U.S. post office in Lucas. The name Lucas already was in use elsewhere. According to local legend, French settler Joseph Peynagrosse chose the name Verdi for a river in his homeland. By the early 20th century, Verdi boasted schools, churches, a store, a post office, a blacksmith shop and cotton gins serving a large rural population.
The Lucas school had 101 students in 1904. In 1913 it was called the Verdi school and had 113 students and five teachers. The Verdi post office closed in 1916. The first high school senior class graduated
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11697.)
Location. 29° 2.943′ N, 98° 23.962′ W. Marker is near Pleasanton, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 1784 and Verdi Road, on the right when traveling north on Route 1784. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pleasanton TX 78064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of San Augustine Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Brite Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); Shiloh Cemetery (approx. 7 miles away); Coughran (was approx. 7.3 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Cooper Chapter No. 101, Royal Arch Masons (approx. 7˝ miles away); Pleasanton First United Methodist Church (approx. 7.9 miles away); Old Rock Schoolhouse (approx. 8 miles away); First Baptist Church of Pleasanton (approx. 8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pleasanton.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 502 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.