Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alpharetta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Alpharetta First United Methodist Church

circa 1834

 
 
Alpharetta First United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 6, 2012
1. Alpharetta First United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. The Methodist Church was part of the Forsyth Circuit of the Cherokee District. Methodist camp meetings were held near this spot in the early 1830s, and there was a meeting house as early as 1834. On April 1, 1871, Isham Teasley, one of the original Milton County Inferior Court Justices, donated land on which the brick chapel now stands. At that time, there was already a church building on the property. This building may have been the white frame church, known to have stood on this site until 1931 which was replaced with the current brick chapel. The church parsonage lot, purchased in 1882, was across North Main Street just south of the chapel.
 
Erected 2008 by City of Alpharetta. (Marker Number 3.)
 
Location. 34° 4.65′ N, 84° 17.65′ W. Marker is in Alpharetta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (Georgia Route 9 at milepost 25) and Church Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 69 North Main Street, Alpharetta GA 30009, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Prospect Campground (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Norman House
Alpharetta First United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 6, 2012
2. Alpharetta First United Methodist Church Marker
(about 400 feet away); Lewis-Manning House (about 500 feet away); Manning Mercantile (about 600 feet away); J.J. Webb and Sons Building (about 600 feet away); Alpharetta Hotel Site (about 600 feet away); R.J. Webb Building (about 600 feet away); Webb Guano House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alpharetta.
 
More about this marker. The marker is part of the Alpharetta “History Walk,” a walking tour of historic sites in the city.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Alpharetta First United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 6, 2012
3. Alpharetta First United Methodist Church Marker
The marker stands in front of the chapel, built in 1931.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 337 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 24, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement