Chester in Plumas County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Olde Towne Corner Store
It was purchased by Sue & Harry Isbell in 1929. Bill Poyner was the proprietor in the 50’s & 60’s. It has been owned and run by Ed, Lois & Gary Lickiss since 1976.
Maude Gay, cousin to the Olsens, started the Post Office in 1908 & moved it here in 1912. It has been a library, insurance office, ice house & had the first gas pumps in Chester. Rumor has it that some bootleg liquor may have passed thru these doors in the good old days. It was and remains a hub of activity in Olde Towne.
Erected 2003 by E Clampus Vitus, Las Plumas del Oro Chapter No. 8, Vigilante Outpost No. 1911.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 40° 18.686′ N, 121° 13.612′ W. Marker is in Chester, California, in Plumas County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (California Route 36) and First Avenue on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 189 Main Street, Chester CA 96020, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Char's Beauty Salon (here, next to this marker); Mt. Lassen Club (within shouting distance of this marker); Chester Library (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memory of the Lumberjack (about 700 feet away); Rainbow Lodge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chester Veterans Memorial Plaza (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dave Stratford 1945 – 2001 (approx. 0.6 miles away); "Dinky" (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chester.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 387 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 24, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.