Athens in Athens-Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Chestnut Grove School
The Chestnut Grove Schoolhouse was established in 1887 to meet the educational aspirations of Black children. It was built and equipped by local Black farmers. The land was donated by a Black farmer named Floyd Kenny, who could not read or write. On July 30, 1896 the school was purchased by the Clarke County Board of Education for $100.00 and continued to operate until 1950. In 1956, the Board of Education sold the building and land to Chestnut Grove Baptist Church for $500.00. The schoolhouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places (#84003873) in 1984. There was a dedication Ceremony held on May 5, 2001 at the Chestnut Grove School, 610 Epps Bridge Road in Athens, Georgia.
Erected 2012 by Chestnut Grove School House Committee.
Location. 33° 55.983′ N, 83° 26.283′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Athens-Clarke County. Marker is at the intersection of Epps Bridge Parkway and Timothy Road, on the right when traveling south on Epps Bridge Parkway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 Epps Bridge Parkway, Athens GA 30603, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hodgson-Dodd Park (approx. 2.6 miles away); U.S. Navy Supply Corps School / Former Site of Georgia State Normal School May Erwin Talmadge (approx. 3 miles away); Dr. William Lorenzo Moss Birthplace (approx. 3.2 miles away); Lucy Cobb Institute (1858-1931) (approx. 3.3 miles away); America’s First Garden Club (approx. 3.3 miles away); Jeruel Academy/Union Baptist Institute (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Taylor-Grady House (approx. 3˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Also see . . . Marker Dedication. The marker was dedicated on June 23, 2012. (Submitted on July 8, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 380 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 28, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.