Bartow in Polk County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Placed On The
By The United States
Department Of The Interior
Location. 27° 53.771′ N, 81° 50.735′ W. Marker is in Bartow, Florida, in Polk County. Marker is on West Main Street west of South Floral Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Mann Manor is located in downtown Bartow and is home to the offices of Sutton Law Firm. Marker is at or near this postal address: 325 West Main Street, Bartow FL 33830, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Fort Blount (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Co E 7th Florida Inf Regt South Florida Bulldogs (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Polk County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Swearingen - Langford House (approx. half a mile away); Historic L. B. Brown House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fort Carroll (approx. 2.8 miles away); Fort Fraser (approx. 3.8 miles away); Homeland School (approx. 5½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bartow.
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on the front of the building, to the right of
Regarding Mann Manor. Cattle baron George W. Mann settled in Bartow in the early 1900's. George built the Colonial revival-style manor for his wife, Kate, a prominent town socialite. Sadly, Mr. Mann would never live in the home, as he died in 1935 prior to the house's completion. Kate lived in the home for many years with her sister, and ultimately died in 1976.
For the next several decades, the "Mann Mansion" sat empty and fell into a severe state of disrepair. There was fear that it would have to be demolished, but in 1998 a buyer was found who was committed to restoring the property. The home, now called Mann Manor, was restored over several years and became the home of the Sutton Law Firm.
Mann Manor was listed with the National Register of Historic Places on October 13, 2011 (ref #11000718).
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 455 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 29, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.