Fort Benning in Chattahoochee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Infantry Board
On 15 December 1919, War Department Orders established the Infantry Board as a development and testing laboratory with permanent station at Fort Benning, Georgia. The Board’s mission was to consider, with continuity of effort, the improvement of the Infantry.
The history of the Infantry Board has been coincident with that of the Infantry Center and Fort Benning, "The Home of the Infantry".
From its very beginning, the Infantry Board was concerned with everything the Infantry Soldier used. Whether he shot it, rode in it, slept in it, ate it, wore it, or used it to accomplish his tactical missions, the Infantryman operating under combat conditions used products that had been tested by the Infantry Board. In consonance with its mission, the Infantry Board’s motto was "ONLY THE BEST FOR THE FINEST!"
From 1946 to 1991 the Infantry Board was headquartered in Building 76, on Anderson Street. The Infantry Board was discontinued effective 23 March 1991.
Erected 1991 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Fort Benning Infantry Board.
Location. 32° 21.713′ N, 84° 58.541′ W. Marker is in Fort Benning, Georgia, in Chattahoochee Touch for map. The marker stands in front of Building 76, Fort Benning. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Benning GA 31905, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 505th Parachute Infantry (approx. 0.6 miles away); Gowdy Field (approx. 0.8 miles away); Post Headquarters -- JAG (approx. one mile away); China Gate (approx. one mile away); "Riverside" (approx. 1.1 miles away); Dwight David Eisenhower (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fort Benning / Fort Benning Military Reservation (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fort Benning - Station Hospital / National Infantry Museum (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Benning.
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 308 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 2, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.