A Neighborhood For Everyone
Tour of Duty
—Barracks Row Heritage Trail —
New buildings soon filled in vacant lots or replaced old structures along Eighth Street. In 1908 the Washington and Mechanics Savings Bank, later the City Bank, went up on this corner as the row’s first bank, reflecting the area’s bright economic prospects.
Eastern European and Asian immigrants, as well as American-born blacks and whites, joined the area’s already diverse pre-Civil War population. Diagonally across the street from this sign stands 701 Eighth Street, built in 1902 by Irishman James O’Donnell as a combination store and apartment building. O’Donnell ran a drugstore on the first floor and rented the second- and third-floor “flats.” Ten years later, Louis Rosenberg built 545 Eighth Street, across Eighth from this sign, as four independent stores (one of which was his shoe store) topped with apartments. Rosenberg was one of many Eastern European Jews
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 6 of 16.)
Location. 38° 52.89′ N, 76° 59.69′ W. Marker is in Capitol Hill, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of Eighth Street, SE and G Street, on the right when traveling north on Eighth Street, SE. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20003, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oldest Post of the Corps (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Commerce and Community (about 400 feet away); Healing the Wounded (about 500 feet away); John Philip Sousa (about 600 feet away); Marine Barracks, Washington, D.C. (about 700 feet away); Christ Church and Its Parishioners (about 700 feet away); In the Alley (about 700 feet away); Christ Church, Washington Parish (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Capitol Hill.
Also see . . . Barracks Row Heritage Trail information (Submitted on July 4, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. This page has been viewed 490 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 4, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.