Tallinn, Harjumaa Maakond, Estonia
Tallinn Town Hall - Anno 1404
The only surviving Gothic Town Hall in Northern Europe, the Town Hall in Tallinn was first mentioned in 1322. When the present day building was completed in 1402-1404, Tallinn was a flourishing Hanseatic city. The upper floor with its impressive halls, the arcade and the tower were built in that period.
The Town Hall is traditionally the centre of European municipal government from 1248 Tallinn was governed by Lubeck law, according to which the magistracy elected from the Hansa merchants began its work. The Town Hall was the seat of local government, later renamed the Town Council, until 1970. It is still used for ceremonial and cultural purposes.
Erected by City of Tallinn.
Location. 59° 26.226′ N, 24° 44.728′ E. Marker is in Tallinn, Harjumaa Maakond. Marker is on Town Hall Square [Raekoja Platz], South. Touch for map. - on the north exterior of the Town Hall, on a pillar facing the Square. Marker is in this post office area: Tallinn, Harjumaa Maakond 10146, Estonia.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Historic Centre (Old Town) of Tallinn (a few steps from this marker); Suurgildi Hoone (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Mustpeade Maja Residence of Konstantin Päts (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Toompea Loss (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); British Royal Navy in the Estonian War of Independence (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Polish Submarine "ORZEŁ" - September 1939 (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Mälestusmärk “Katkenud Liin” / “Broken Line” (approx. 0.7 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallinn.
Additional keywords. Raekoja; Tallinna
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 536 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 4, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.