Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fitzgerald in Ben Hill County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Ozias Church Bethlehem Church

 
 
Ozias Church Bethlehem Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 30, 2012
1. Ozias Church Bethlehem Church Marker
Inscription. Ozias Primitive Baptist Church was constituted July 14, 1832. Elders Wilson Conner and John Martial were the Presbytery. Members were John McDonald, Randall McDonald, Elijah Hunter, Penelope Hunter, Catherine McCall, Mary McDonald, Elizabeth McDonald. The Rev. Randall McDonald was pastor, and Redding Hunter was clerk.

On March 11, 1854, it was agreed to change the name to Bethlehem Church. The Rev. Hardy McGlawn and the Rev. W.F. Willis served as first pastors after Bethlehem Church was constituted.
 
Erected 1996 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 077-8.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 31° 50.433′ N, 83° 15.717′ W. Marker is near Fitzgerald, Georgia, in Ben Hill County. Marker is on Bethlehem Church Road 0.1 miles south of Broom Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 995 Bethlehem Church Road, Fitzgerald GA 31750, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Breakfast Branch (approx. 6.8 miles away); Gen. Bush's Home (approx. 8.4 miles
Ozias Church Bethlehem Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 30, 2012
2. Ozias Church Bethlehem Church Marker
away); Fitzgerald (approx. 8.7 miles away); Jefferson Davis Memorial State Park (approx. 8.7 miles away); Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 - 1902 (approx. 8.7 miles away); Ben Hill County (approx. 8.8 miles away); New Hope Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 8.9 miles away); First Baptist Church Bell (approx. 9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fitzgerald.
 
More about this marker. This marker is a replacement of an earlier marker erected by the Georgia Historical Commission. According to state records, that marker was erected in Irwin County near Lax; the marker's number 077-8 would indicate Irwin County. (Ben Hill County was created from Irwin County in 1906.)


The pastor has investigated the history of the marker, and is quite certain that the marker was always intended for this church. The marker history matches this church; there is a Bethlehem Church in Irwin County, and its history does not match the marker. Presumably the state's records were in error, placing the marker in the wrong location in the wrong county. The situation remains
Ozias Church Bethlehem Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 30, 2012
3. Ozias Church Bethlehem Church Marker
The church is in the background.
a bit of a mystery, which will likely never be completely resolved.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Ozias Church Bethlehem Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 30, 2012
4. Ozias Church Bethlehem Church Marker
The church cemetery is in the background, across Bethlehem Church Road.
Ozias Church Bethlehem Church image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 30, 2012
5. Ozias Church Bethlehem Church
The church was built in 1913, replacing the original church which had been damaged in a storm. It was built of "Granitoid," produced by the Fitzgerald Granitoid Works and popular in the area.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 479 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 5, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement