Manitowoc in Manitowoc County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
A Century of Service: Manitowoc Public Library 1900-2000
The Carnegie Library on North Eighth Street opened on August 27, 1904 and served Manitowoc until after
(Continued from other side)
In 1964 the library received a federal building grant. In November 1965 ground was broken after the Common Council approved the remaining funds. The Hamilton Street library opened on January 14, 1967.
For more than 30 years the Hamilton Street library served the needs of the community and the demands of changing technology. In the mid-1980s it became apparent the
Erected 2000 by Manitowoc County Historical Society in cooperation with the Friends of the Manitowoc Public Library.
Location. 44° 5.463′ N, 87° 39.446′ W. Marker is in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, in Manitowoc County. Marker is at the intersection of Quay Street and South Eighth Street (U.S. 10), on the right when traveling east on Quay Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 707 Quay St, Manitowoc WI 54220, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brandt Printing & Binding Co. ( within shouting distance of this marker); S.S. Kresge Co. ( within shouting distance of this marker); Manitowoc's Maritime Heritage ( within shouting distance of this marker); Rummele's Jewelry ( within shouting distance of this marker); Fred Schultz Residence ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fehr's Jewelry ( about 300 feet away); Charles W. White Law Office ( about 300 feet away); F.C. Buerstatte Pharmacy ( about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manitowoc.
Also see . . . Manitowoc Public Library. (Submitted on July 16, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2012, by Melinda Roberts of De Pere, United States. This page has been viewed 339 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 14, 2012, by Melinda Roberts of De Pere, United States. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings • Can you help?