Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Secondary Industrial School
Proposed in 1904 by Carleton B. Gibson, Columbus School Superintendent, the Secondary Industrial School is regarded as the nation’s first public coeducational industrial high school. G. Gunby Jordan, then President of the School Board, and his son R. C. Jordan donated the land and were instrumental in developing the school. The school was centrally located in Waverly Terrace, a community planned and developed by the Jordan Company, and completed in 1906. The school’s name changed to Columbus Industrial High School in 1912 and again in 1939 to Columbus Junior High School.
Designed by the Atlanta firm of J. W. Golucke, the building is of monumental style and scale. Using brick and stone to illustrate the Neo-Classical details, this architectural design was popular for public buildings at the turn of the century. The building’s appearance has remained essentially unchanged since its opening with only minor alterations and an addition of a rear gymnasium in the 1930s. The interior layout is three floors over an English basement, or “Quincy Plan”. Golucke was best known for designing twenty courthouses in Georgia. This structure represents one of his few designs that is not a courthouse.
Erected 2003 by Historic
Location. 32° 29.38′ N, 84° 58.643′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on 29th Street 0 miles west of Peabody Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1112 29th Street, Columbus GA 31904, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Eugene J. Bullard, 1895-1961 / World’s First Black Combat Aviator (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Elmo (approx. 0.6 miles away); Alma Woodsey Thomas (approx. 0.7 miles away); Camp Conrad (approx. 0.8 miles away); Colored Department of the City Hospital / Doctors and Nurses (approx. 0.8 miles away); Leonard Spring (approx. 0.9 miles away); Brigadier General Henry Lewis Benning (approx. 0.9 miles away); Linwood Cemetery (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Regarding Secondary Industrial School. The building is now used as the “Academic Success Center – School of Applied Vocational Education”
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 418 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 18, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.