Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pope Valley in Napa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Pope Valley Garage

 
 
Pope Valley Garage Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 9, 2011
1. Pope Valley Garage Marker
Inscription. At the crossroads of Howell Mountain and Pope Valley Roads, the Pope Valley Garage came into existence in 1915 to provide repairs for farm equipment, cars, trucks, tractors and towing as Pope Valley began to grow. In 1927 the Pope Valley Garage was awarded a contract from the California State Automobile Association and provided emergency roadside service for 72 years. The garage was established by Thomas L.G. Neil and his son Roy was the first mechanic. Through four generations, the family has provided mechanical and towing service. The business remains in operation as a vehicle repair service. It also honors a towing contract with the California Highway Patrol.
Plaque dedicated April 21, 2007
By Sam Brannan Chapter #1004
E Clampus Vitus
 
Erected 2007 by E Clampus Vitus, Sam Brannan Chapter No. 1004.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 38° 36.898′ N, 122° 25.684′ W. Marker is in Pope Valley, California, in Napa County. Marker is on Pope Valley Road near Howell Mountain Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5875 Pope Valley Road, Pope Valley CA 94567, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8
National Autormobile Club Sign (mounted on the garage, above the Pepsi sign and historical marker) image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 9, 2011
2. National Autormobile Club Sign (mounted on the garage, above the Pepsi sign and historical marker)
other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pope Valley Store ( within shouting distance of this marker); The Henry Haus Blacksmith and Wagonmaker Shop ( within shouting distance of this marker); Litto’s Hubcap Ranch ( approx. 2 miles away); Larkmead Winery / Kornell Cellars ( approx. 6.4 miles away); The White Church ( approx. 6.5 miles away); Reason P. Tucker ( approx. 6.7 miles away); Bale Grist Mill ( approx. 6.8 miles away); Dr. Edward Turner Bale ( approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pope Valley.
 
Additional comments.
1. Pope Valley Garage and the California State Automobile Association
The Pope Valley Garage became a California State Automobile Association Independent Contract Station in 1927 and provided Emergency Roadside Service to the people of Pope Valley and the surrounding area.

It was one of the earlier such Contract Stations in California, and for seventy-two years carried on the proud tradition of CSAA. From its inception, CSAA assumed an integral role in promoting and safeguarding the needs of all motorists. It began making road signs in 1908, producing maps in 1909, offering automobile insurance in 1914, and providing travel assistance through its Touring Bureau in 1915.

Loren Wilson, XSNGH #29 April
Pope Valley Garage and Marker - wide view, looking west image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 9, 2011
3. Pope Valley Garage and Marker - wide view, looking west
The marker is visible here to the right of the garage door (to the immediate right of the Pepsi sign).
21, 2007
    — Submitted April 23, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California.

 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 560 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on July 19, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 10, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement