Pope Valley in Napa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Henry Haus Blacksmith and Wagonmaker Shop
In 1899 he married Regula Anna and they raised four sons: Herman H., Ernest U., Henry, Jr., and George H. He helped to organize the Pope Valley Farm Center, and as with his smithing, gave it his continuous attention during his lifetime. He died December 8, 1955.
Dedicated by Sam Brannan Chapter 1004, E Clampus Vitus in cooperation with the Napa County Historical Society.
August 21, 1982
Erected 1982 by E Clampus Vitus, Sam Brannan Chapter 1004; Napa County Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 38° 36.914′ N, 122° 25.637′ W. Marker is in Pope Valley, California, in Napa County. Marker is at the intersection of Howell Mountain Road and Pope Valley Road, on the left when traveling south on Howell Mountain Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pope Valley CA 94567, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pope Valley Garage (within shouting distance Pope Valley Store (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Litto’s Hubcap Ranch (approx. 2 miles away); Larkmead Winery / Kornell Cellars (approx. 6˝ miles away); The White Church (approx. 6˝ miles away); Reason P. Tucker (approx. 6.7 miles away); Bale Grist Mill (approx. 6.8 miles away); Dr. Edward Turner Bale (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pope Valley.
Also see . . .
1. History of Pope Valley. Pope Valley Winery, a historic winery less than 5 minutes from this marker by car, provides a short history of Pope Valley. On Henry Haus: "In the early 1860’s, three Swiss brothers arrived in the land of opportunity to seek their fortune, Henry, Ed and Otto Haus. Lured to California by the Gold rush, they apprenticed to be blacksmiths to J. McDonald of the Pope Valley. When McDonald left to find gold, Henry took over...." (Submitted on April 10, 2011.)
2. Henry Haus Blacksmith Shop. Tim Cisneros, a blacksmith himself, presents historical fiction (Submitted on April 10, 2011.)
1. Additional Information Regarding the Marker Dedication
Loren Wilson was Noble Grand Humbug when this plaque was dedicated. Plaque Wording by Edward D. Hawkinns.
— Submitted April 17, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 779 times since then. Last updated on July 19, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos: 1. submitted on April 10, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 2. submitted on April 17, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 10, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.