Sheldon in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Sheldon Union Academy
Sheldon Union Academy, later Sheldon School, opened in 1893 on this site and educated the black children of rural Sheldon community for almost fifty years. The original Sheldon Union Academy board, which founded and governed the school from 1893 to 1918, included S.T. Beaubien, M.W. Brown, P.R. Chisolm, H.L. Jones, S.W. Ladson, F.S. Mitchell, and N.D. Mitchell.
Sheldon Union Academy, founded by an independent group of community leaders, was a private school until 1918. That year its board deeded the property to Beaufort County, which built a new public school on this site. Sheldon School, which taught grades 1-7, closed in 1942 when the county consolidated its rural black schools.
Erected 2001 by Committee For Preservation Of African-American Landmarks. (Marker Number 7-27.)
Location. 32° 36.246′ N, 80° 48.184′ W. Marker is in Sheldon, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Trask Parkway (U.S. 17 / 21) 0.1 miles north of Sheldon Drive when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sheldon SC 29941, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Prince William's Parish Church (approx. Church of Prince William's Parish (approx. 1.6 miles away); William Bull (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Frampton Lines (approx. 4.2 miles away); " The Frampton Line " (approx. 4.4 miles away); Southern Live Oak Tree (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Battle of Pocotaligo (approx. 4.7 miles away); General Robert E. Lee (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sheldon.
Categories. • African Americans • Education • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 27, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,618 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 27, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.